Date:      Thu, 02 Oct 1997 17:24:50 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        chad@dcfinc.com
Cc:        dg@root.com, rgrimes@GndRsh.aac.dev.com, jkh@time.cdrom.com, andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: CVSUP vs. SNAPS

In message <199710022319.QAA29319@freebie.dcfinc.com> "Chad R. Larson" writes:
: There should be some easy way (perhaps through "uname") to know where
: along the STABLE continuum a particular system resides.

uname -r should do this:
     -r      Write the current release level of the operating system to stan-
             dard output.

That's why I'm arguing for going to 2.2.5-STABLE after the release
process happens.  The docs don't say the current branch of the
operating system, but rather say the current release level.  For
branches with releases on them, that implies to me what I'm arguing
for.

Warner