Date:      Fri, 27 Apr 2012 16:31:17 -0400
From:      Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@msu.edu>
To:        Wojciech Puchar <wojtek@wojtek.tensor.gdynia.pl>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, Andy Young <ayoung@mosaicarchive.com>
Subject:   Re: Ways to promote FreeBSD?

On Fri, Apr 27, 2012 at 08:27:07PM +0200, Wojciech Puchar wrote:

> >After using Linux for almost 15 years, I only recently started using
> >FreeBSD. I own an internet startup and was looking for a solution for
>
> Those who need FreeBSD already use it. no need to promote. Or maybe need
> to promote bigger donations to FreeBSD community from big users.
>
> Those who actually need high performers and have servers that are loaded
> and are working not toying around - use FreeBSD.

Not really true and kind of a poor attitude.
Yes. many people needing high performance already use FreeBSD, but
there are lots of services that could benefit from FreeBSD who are
not very aware of it.  They may have heard the name, and even know
that it is an OS, but have heard it passed off as a non-entity in
the field and do not know better than that.

Sure, if people take the time and come to the web site and then
download and use it and learn it, they know and don't need to
be told much.  But, most others are not yet in that situation.
They might appreciate the help.   Of course, some may be too
lazy or prejudiced to go through that, but many just need some
more information and encouragement I would guess.

////jerry