Date:      Sun, 2 Sep 2001 16:19:11 -0700
From:      "David O'Brien" <obrien@NUXI.com>
To:        Paul Khavkine <paul@colba.net>
Cc:        freebsd-sparc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Building the code

On Sun, Sep 02, 2001 at 06:55:15PM -0400, Paul Khavkine wrote:
> Well i dont have an x86 box to run current on. My FreeBSD box is
> running 4.3 STABLE i need this box as a workstation so i dont want to
> put CURRENT on it.

You don't need to run current on it, just have a -current src/sys checked
out (and build the -current config(8) and copy somewhere safe).  You can
get a toolchain from http://people.freebsd.org/~jake/.  I could give
directions to building your own GCC 2.95.3 cross-compiler on
FreeBSD/i386, but I'd rather everyone use the same toolchain at this
point.

> Well i was hoping to use my U1 box for that, i'll see if i can find
> myself an x86  box.

Give it a try, I'm courious to see how far you can get on that machine.

> Question: there's quite a bit of sparc bits missing from gcc 3.0 from what i
> know, wouldn't
> it be better to use 2.95.3 instead ?

Yes, but the reason being because the kernel tree is only known to work
with GCC 2.95.3.  Please forget GCC 3.0 exists for the time being.

--
-- David    (obrien@NUXI.com)