Date:      Thu, 14 Nov 1996 19:23:28 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
To:        Wes Santee <wes@bogon.net>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Are these bugs?

On Thu, 14 Nov 1996, Wes Santee wrote:

> 'Lo port-people.
>
> I'm trying to figure out what is the critera for what is considered a
> bug-free port.  More specifically of the last, oh, 5 or so ports I've
> built, only 1 or 2 of them have actually respected the PREFIX variable
> to install somewhere else beside /usr/local.
>
> I realize some of the ports can't avoid it (i.e. Netscape which
> hard-codes /usr/local into the binary), but even emacs, which can be
> passed the --with-prefix=${PREFIX} flag to configure doesn't use it.
>
> If this is the way things should be, then I guess I'll go back to
> makefile hacking, etc..  However, if the ports should be created to
> respect PREFIX at least most of the time, perhaps before committing a
> port to the world, it should be made and installed with PREFIX
> pointing somewhere beside /usr/local, just to make sure the port is
> robust.

All ports are supposed to respect ${PREFIX}, altho some don't.  Usually
the ones that don't are either the oldest, or some very complicated ones.
I wouldn't want to be the one who has to make XFree86 respect ${PREFIX}.
However, a very strong attempt to meet this is expected of every port.

We'd be happy to have PRs filed on every one you notice that doesn't.

9120 Edmonston Ct #302      |