Date:      Sat, 10 Oct 1998 20:46:15 -0400
From:      "Sarah Bell" <sarahbell@ili.net>
To:        <millert@direct.ca>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: URGENT  FREEBSD Problem need help

I'm guessing the the message " WARNING: / was not properly dismounted." is
repeated many times.  This is caused by the file systems not being properly
synced and unmounted before the computer was shut off, either from a crash
or a powerdown without running halt, shutdown or reboot.  I've found some
recent versions of FreeBSD will not get past this by itself.  If you get a
message to the effect of "enter shell or press enter for sh", press enter.
You should get a # prompt.  run 'fsck -y /' and reboot when finished.  Now
the system should boot normally.
BTW, this problem is fixed in some of the later versions of FreeBSD.

If you are only getting one  'WARNING: / was not properly dismounted.' and
then an indefinite hang, there is some other problem.  I'd first try
booting to single user mode (by entering '-s' at the 'boot:' prompt).  If
you get in that way, run fsck as above and reboot.

Otherwise, we'll need more information like what version, what hardware,
what happened before this started.

Jerry Bell