Date:      Mon, 26 Apr 1999 14:56:45 -0400
From:      Dennis Rockwell <dennis@bbn.com>
To:        mwlucas@exceptionet.com
Cc:        jonny@jonny.eng.br (Joao Carlos Mendes Luis), stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: nmbclusters=4096 doesn't increase mbufs

On 23 Apr, mwlucas@exceptionet.com wrote:

> We've rebooted twice; once with maxusers = 256, and one with nmbclusters
> specifically set.  And yes, we did a config, make depend && make all
> install.
>
> > #define quoting(mwlucas@exceptionet.com)

> > // scooby# netstat -m
> > [ ... ]
> > // 128/132 mbuf clusters in use

In most Unix kernels I've diddled with (and I can't say for
sure about FreeBSD), and cluster count numbers (here as
128/132) should be labelled "in use" and "allocated".  The
limit for "allocated" (4096) is not given by netstat -m in
most cases, since that's not kept in the tables that netstat
-m examines.

In other words, the 132 is simply the current high-water
mark for cluster allocations.

Dennis Rockwell                 dennis@bbn.com
GTE Internetworking