Date:      Wed, 10 Oct 2001 01:21:55 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        "Eugene M. Kim" <gene@nttmcl.com>
Cc:        Jonathan Lemon <jlemon@flugsvamp.com>, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: VM question (I hate Intel 810/815 chipsets...)

"Eugene M. Kim" wrote:

> Thank you for the reply.
>
> I also found contigmalloc() shortly after I posted the original question
> (what an embarrassment ;-p), then met another restriction: Because these
> memory regions are to be accessed by a userland process (X server), they
> have to be somehow mapped into the user space.  So far it seems I would
> have to do something similar to vm_mmap(), but I'm not sure if this is a
> right direction.  Do you have any suggestions?

Write a device driver, and mmap() the device after opening it.

Alternately, consider doing the machdep.c trick, and setting
the PG_U bit.  One bad consequence of this, however, is that
any runaway user process would be able to trash the memory,
so a device mmap() approach is really a much better idea.

-- Terry