Date:      Sun, 10 May 1998 00:17:57 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        The Classiest Man Alive <ksmm@threespace.com>
Cc:        John Birrell <jb@cimlogic.com.au>, advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Linux as a Mozilla total reference platform

> Then I wish somebody would drop the word over to Marc.  His name dropping
> and posing for pictures with Tux aren't doing anything to help the UNIX
> community on the whole.

Look, geeze, different people are Netscape are going to express
different opinions about this at different times - there's simply
nothing approaching consensus over there WRT free Unixen and it'd be
unreasonable to expect various people at Netscape, including Marc
himself, to refrain from developing personal preferences.  Maybe Linux
just gives Marc a woody, or perhaps the Linux users group was simply
*the first and only free os group to ask him*, who knows?  Knowing how
often we generally fail to take concrete initiative in situations like
this one, it wouldn't surprise me a bit to hear that Marc jumped on
the Linux bandwagon simply because he needed someone in the free
software camp to blow the bugles with and the Linux folks weren't too
shy to offer him a forum for doing so.

In any case, this all segues nicely into an opportunity to air a pet
peeve of mine here, one which I hope that K.S. won't take as a
personal jab so much as a general statement of fact, and that's that
we waste TOO MUCH BLOODY TIME on the pointless exercise of jumping up
and down like a bunch of old ladies who've just seen a naked man
("Oooh!  Wouldya look at that!") every time some new Linux article
comes out or somebody says something nasty about FreeBSD in a public
forum.

I'm all for playing a reasonable defensive strategy, don't get me
wrong, but there also comes a point where you're just spending too
damn much time reacting to your opponents moves and are not really
engaged in formulating your own strategy.  Going "Oooh!" every time a
Linux article comes out is not a strategy, it's just a reaction, and
it was rather my hope that we'd be using the -advocacy forum more for
formulating strategies than in collectively going "Oooh!" - you get my
meaning here? :-)

- Jordan