Date:      Tue, 28 Oct 1997 15:51:43 -0600
From:      Karl Denninger  <karl@Mcs.Net>
To:        Marc Slemko <marcs@znep.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Ports <ports@FreeBSD.ORG>, FreeBSD ISP <isp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Apache FrontPage Module Port Completed

I STRONGLY recommend that NOBODY load a botch of this kind on ANYTHING.

SUID root programs for file transfers should be confined to those which have
many YEARS of experience under their belts - like ftpd.  There is absolutely
NO REASON that Microsoft could not support FTP transfers from Frontpage, and
if they did, this entire security fiasco would be moot.

And yes, I've told Microsoft this -- for almost two years.

They don't care, and until they do, I'm not risking my machines on their
no-source code.

Karl Denninger (karl@MCS.Net)| MCSNet - Serving Chicagoland and Wisconsin
http://www.mcs.net/~karl     | T1's from $600 monthly to FULL DS-3 Service
			     | NEW! K56Flex modem support is now available
Voice: [+1 312 803-MCS1 x219]| 56kbps DIGITAL ISDN DOV on analog lines!
Fax:   [+1 312 803-4929]     | 2 FULL DS-3 Internet links; 400Mbps B/W Internal