Date:      Sat, 27 Nov 1999 13:44:31 +0100 (MET)
From:      Thomas Schuerger <schuerge@wjpserver.CS.Uni-SB.DE>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Harddisk problems

Hi!

I just bought an IBM Deskstar DPTA-372730 27.3 GB UDMA/2 drive
for my FreeBSD 4.0-CURRENT system. However, I am having severe problems
with the 19 GB slice I have created.

I am using the ATA driver with my UDMA controller on my ASUS P2B-DS
mainboard. The ATA driver keeps telling me there are "hard errors"
when reading some certain sectors on the disk. fsck currently cannot
check the slice, as it reports there are two sectors that cannot be
read (fsck does not mark the slice as being clean, so I cannot
mount the disk r/w). However, before there were once problems to
unmount the disk on reboot (and therefore fsck check was enforced),
I was able to use the slice just fine (even though the ATA driver
reported those errors in the console). The other slices on the disk
work fine so far.

The ATA driver outputs the following in the console:

ad0: status=51 error=84
ad_interrupt: hard error

fsck reports the following:

** /dev/rad0s1g
** Last Mounted on /data
** Phase 1 - Check Blocks and Sizes

CANNOT READ: BLK 18350144
CONTINUE? [yn] y

THE FOLLOWING DISK SECTORS COULD NOT BE READ: 18350191,

CANNOT READ: BLK 38274656
CONTINUE? [yn] y

THE FOLLOWING DISK SECTORS COULD NOT BE READ: 38274713,
** Phase 2 - Check Pathnames
** Phase 3 - Check Connectivity
** Phase 4 - Check Reference Counts
** Phase 5 - Check Cyl groups
13387 files, 7898160 used, 11063158 free (11870 frags, 1381411 blocks, 0.1% fragmentation)

***** FILE SYSTEM STILL DIRTY *****

***** PLEASE RERUN FSCK *****

I have tried formatting the whole partition with Windows and that
worked fine. Then I used newfs to reinstall UFS on it (which went
much too fast for actually formatting the disk), something like
30 seconds with FreeBSD compared to 20 minutes with Windows (note
that using Windows I formatted the whole partition, whereas using
FreeBSD I just newfs'ed the 19 GB slice).

Is there a better way to actually check the slice for errors or
do a "format" that does a verify on the formatted data? I'd like to
know whether the disk really has some hard errors on it or if perhaps
the filesystem or ATA driver cannot handle such big partition. I'd
also like to know which testing tools can be used to check that.

Thanks for your answers!

Ciao,
Thomas Schürger.   http://www.menden.augustin.de