Date:      Sun, 19 Jan 1997 20:55:13 -0500 (EST)
From:      Kenneth Merry <ken@housing1.stucen.gatech.edu>
To:        smp@csn.net (Steve Passe)
Cc:        smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: success!!

Steve Passe wrote...

> > Also, I ran mptable tonight, with all the
> >cards installed, and noticed that NINTR=15 had changed to NINTR=17.
> > I installed an additional ethernet card last
> >night, and it wasn't working properly with the SMP kernels.  That was most
> >likely because of the number of interrutps.
>
> if there are too few INTR slots compiled into the kernel it SHOULD panic
> during the boot:
>
> i386/i386/mp_machdep.c:
>
> intEntry( IntEntry entry, int* intr )
> {
>     int	x;
>
>     if ( (x = (*intr)++) == NINTR )
> 	panic( "too many INTs, increase 'NINTR'\n" );
> }
>
> so when you "hung", I wonder if it was just a panic() call that didn't print
> properly?  I thought I was seeing this sort of behaviour in the past, and
> coded all my panic calls to look like:
>
>  printf( "message\n" );
>  panic( "\n" );
>
> a few cleanups ago I removed all that stuff because it looked so ugly and
> unnecessary.  Why don't you try decrementing NINTR by 1 or 2 and rerunnning
> config/make and see if it panic()s or if it "hangs".

	I changed my kernel config to have NINTR=15 instead of 17, and the
kernel hangs.  I didn't see the panic message, though.

> I may have gotten "too clever" by counting INT sources with mptable.  If
> NINTR is undefined the kernel source defaults to 24, which works fine with
> all IO APICs, just wastes a little space.

	If it doesn't waste too much space, it might not be a bad idea to
just tell people to use 24, or make it clear that NINTR depends on how many
cards you have in your system.

Thanks,

Ken
--