Date:      Tue, 21 Nov 2006 08:41:00 -0800
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org, Dominic Marks <dom@helenmarks.co.uk>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 6.2-PRE panic

--==_Exmh_1164127260_1426P

On Fri, 27 Oct 2006, Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org> wrote:
> On Fri, 27 Oct 2006, Dominic Marks wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 26 Oct 2006 13:10:41 +0100
> > Dominic Marks <dom@helenmarks.co.uk> wrote:

> >> And another, looks like the same again. This time I have a minidump (73MB)
> >> . Available for developers. I'm going to try going to latest STABLE and see
> >> if it goes away.
> >
> > And again, this time with latest STABLE. Help! (please) Ideas for a
> > work-around would be appreciated as well. As before crash info is available
> > to developers (93MB).
>
> If you have a serial console set up, could you compile DDB, INVARIANTS, and
> WITNESS into the kernel?  When the panic occurs, run the following commands:
>
>    show pcpu
>    trace
>    show allpcpu
>    traceall
>    show alllocks

Has Dominic followed up on this? I am seeing the same problem on my
Athlon 4400+ system (running i386) and have been crashing 3 or 4 times a
day on a kernel from Nov. 9.

I just updated to 6-Stable of Nov. 21 and it has not yet crashed, but if
it fails again, I can provide the requested information. I really would
like to see it resolved for the 6.2 release if at all possible.

In my case, the crashes have mostly occurred when I was either not on the
system at all or when I was just logged into it via SSH from a terminal
window on another system. No X-server was running at the time of any
crash. (But polkitd and hald are started at boot time, so they were
running.)
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)