Date:      Wed, 23 Aug 1995 02:06:30 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        jdl@chromatic.com
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Building and World Order

>     4.  Before compiling current, read the Makefile in /usr/src
>         carefully.  You'll see one-time targets like `bootstrapld'
>         which *MUST* be run as part of the upgrading process.  Reading
>         freebsd-hackers will keep you up-to-date on other bootstrapping
>         procedures that sometimes become necessary as we move towards
>         the next release.

Ye gods, is THAT out of date!  Thanks for bringing it to our attention!

> So, where do I go from here?  What are the valid (and pertinent) make
> targets?  Is 'install' up next?  I don't see the semi-traditional
> 'clean' and 'realclean', just 'cleandist'.

No, world does it all.

> Will all of my local utilities get updated to be the utilities that
> I just build at some point?  Do I even want or need to do this step
> in order to run the -current kernel I just built?

No, your local utilities remain untouched.  If you want to update
them, it's up to you.

> Also, when I sup in a new update, how much of the world will I need
> to rebuild?  Do I need to start at /usr/src and make 'world' again?

"That depends" Sorry, but that's all I can say.  Sometimes you need
to, sometimes you don't.  The only way to know for sure is to read the
-current mailing list.

					Jordan