Date:      Mon, 29 Jan 96 11:57:32 -0800
From:      "Sean T. Lamont" <lamont@abstractsoft.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Hints on network dropping

Hi there. I have been experiencing problems with a FreeBSD system
dropping its network connection entirely. It's a fairly high trafficked
httpd server, and that's about it. It's an ASUS P133 motherboard with
an NE2000 clone network card and an IDE disk system.

What happens is, for about 10 minutes at a time (at least once per
day) the network will drop entirely ; the site isn't ping'able,
no logging occurs on the http server. In about 10 minutes, it comes
up and runs fine.

I'm at somewhat of a loss here since I have an identical kernel
running on our news server, which has some extended resources like
processes. It almost sounds like a driver problem, but as I said,
the NE2000 clone is working fine for us on the other server.

Any hints for me before I consider swapping out OS's?