Date:      Tue, 21 Jan 2003 20:47:40 -0800
From:      Andy Sparrow <spadger@best.com>
To:        dsyphers@uchicago.edu
Cc:        Jonathon McKitrick <jcm@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: X server crash with latest RELEASE

--==_Exmh_1046612292P

> On Tuesday 21 January 2003 09:28 pm, Jonathon McKitrick wrote:
> > I've seen this crash happen a few times, with the only thing I can find in
> > common being that Netscape 4.79 is running.
> >
> > The X server drops me back into a console, and the only output is:
> >
> > sigreturn: eflags = 0x13286
> >
> > Does anyone have any idea what this could be?  I am running XFree86 3.6.x
> > and have never had this problem before.  Where should I start looking?
> >
> > Also, FreeBSD 4.7-RELEASE-p1
>
> Searching the FreeBSD mailing lists (on Google) with "sigreturn: eflags"
> turned up an email reporting the same error with XFree86 3.3.6 (which is what
> I assume "3.6.x" really means, since there was never an XFree86 3.6.x
> release). This email was written in November 2000...

Hmm, that may even have been mine, I saw this a couple of times on my
old laptop. I couldn't find much about it on the lists.

It always bit me after upgrading ports (pre-portupgrade days), and it
was damned difficult to get rid of. I usually saw it when starting up
'wdm'.

At least once, I made a complete list of ports on the entire system,
blew /everything/ away and re-built the entire ports collection. Painful
on a 166-MMX latop, but it always fixed the problem - and it seemed
quicker than actually trying to work out precisely what was causing it.
especially after having already spent spent 6-8 hours rebuilding
everything I could think of to no avail...

> So... You're running versions of Netscape and XFree86 that are several years
> old, and not supported by anyone anymore. I'd recommend upgrading if at all
> possible. It's probably not a FreeBSD error, but even if it is, it's not
> going to get any attention until you're running the latest software (and
> probably -stable, too, which is not the same as 4.7-RELEASE).

Cruel but fair :-)

You could also try re-building everything via portupgrade. However, you
really should be running XFree 4.2.x these days...

Cheers,

AS

--==_Exmh_1046612292P

--==_Exmh_1046612292P--