Date:      Thu, 1 Mar 2001 11:57:31 -0600
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        Neill Robins <freebsd@nc.rr.com>
Cc:        Bill Moran <wmoran@mail.iowna.com>, treznor@sunflower.com, Steve <vandena@nwf-soccer.com>, Rafael Caballero Jr <rcaballero@mindspring.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD and a cable modem

On Thu, Mar 01, 2001 at 08:53:51AM -0500, Neill Robins wrote:
> Thursday, March 01, 2001, 8:44:04 AM, you wrote:
> BM> Tyler McGeorge wrote:
> >>
> >> Most Roadrunner cable modems require you to "login" or
> >> some such nonsense.
>
> BM> Really? Where do they do that? None of the ones in Columbus require any
> BM> "login"
>
> I think that was limited only to the services in San Diego at one
> time. I don't believe the login is needed at hardly any of the other
> RoadRunner networks. At least not in North Carolina.

Know of two users with Comcast@Home in Huntsville, AL, one somehow
wrangled a static IP address. The other had to upgrade from MacOS 7.6.1
so that the DHCP client could pass an optional parameter back to the
DHCP server. Cable installer called this parameter a "password".

Search the archives as others have documented how to insert this extra
data in the DHCP script(s) in order to get "registered" with the
cable system.

Think my ISP does much the same thing but with the MAC address of my
NIC. Pretty easy to change the MAC address under FreeBSD so I went
weeks after an upgrade before remembering to call in the new MAC
address to the ISP.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net