Date:      Sat, 2 Nov 2002 16:36:30 -0800
From:      Steve Kargl <sgk@troutmask.apl.washington.edu>
To:        Juli Mallett <jmallett@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        "Matthew N. Dodd" <winter@jurai.net>, Mark Murray <mark@grondar.org>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: __sF

On Sat, Nov 02, 2002 at 04:19:10PM -0800, Juli Mallett wrote:

> Keep in mind this only affects linking a closed library, and that this
> situation is a bit absurd, given that a reasonable solution exists, and
> if necessary, can be packaged up nicely...

"A bit absurd"?  Can you explain why it is absurb and can you
give me the reasonable solution that you have?

> Developers using this sort of environment are asking for trouble.  It
> seems to me a serious developer will develop where the tools are working
> and supported (keep in mind this is a issue with a vendor LIBRARY being
> LINKED in, not a TOOL being USED),

The TOOL was working fine until __sF was made static.

> or set up a proper cross-env to target the platform where the library
> is targettted

This is what I guess we'll have to do.

> or will force their vendor to support the new platform they
> (for whatever reason) see fit to develop on.

Force the vendor to support the new platform?  No, this will
most likely cause the vendor to abandon the FreeBSD platform.
So much for encouraging commercial support for FreeBSD.

--
Steve