Date:      Mon, 12 Mar 2012 15:36:38 +0100
From:      endzed@gmail.com
To:        FreeBSD-Ports <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: PHP 5.4.0 : lang/php54

Le 12 mars 2012 =E0 15:00, Miroslav Lachman a =E9crit :

> Jerry wrote:
>> On Mon, 12 Mar 2012 13:19:40 +0100
>> Miroslav Lachman articulated:
>>=20
>>> I really understand that you don't have a time or will to maintain
>>> more than 1 version of PHP - it is not an easy task. But what is the
>>> difference between more versions of PHP in the ports tree and more
>>> versions of Python, Perl, MySQL, Postgresql, Postfix... and many =
more
>>> ports? There is always some reason why they are there.
>>> Some of them (Perl 5.8 comes to my mind) are/were in the tree for a
>>> long time after upstream EOL.
>>>=20
>>> Personally - I don't need older PHP versions for webaplications
>>> written by my-self, but there are many hosted websites depending on
>>> an older versions on our webhosting servers. Customers must wait for
>>> update from their vedors etc. Even some mainstream Open Source CMS
>>> and other applications lags behind PHP development.
>>=20
>> The primary reason that so many older/EOL'd versions of programs are
>> still in existence is because by nature most individuals are just =
plain
>> lazy. Face it, man only invented electricity because watching TV by
>> candle light was not very convenient.
>>=20
>> Seriously though, all too many users have to be dragged into the =
future
>> or else they will just rot in the past. If support for EOL'd crap was
>> implemented immediately, support for the newer versions would be
>> instituted lickety-split.
>=20
> It is not about EoL in the first place. PHP 5.3 is still maintained =
branch by vendor.
> And if we are talking about more than one branch... FreeBSD exists in =
3 parallel branches + HEAD.

Plus this way of thinking does not let place for inertia of big =
projects. Especially collaborative projects where you can have thousand =
of developers btw. You cannot ask all projects/piece of code to be ready =
to upgrade to new version at the same time, and I'm not speaking of =
projects that involve many other technologies than PHP. Some projects =
simply cannot follow the vendor versioning rate just because of inertia, =
just to say. Maybe this could also be a way to go here at some point, I =
cannot tell.

Anyway I think that the steps of launching a new port/port usage/port =
deprecation is necessary for this exact reason. The other way would be =
to freeze all the tree from time to time (i.e. several months) and ask =
projects maintainers/developers to stick to each freeze. FreeBSD system =
do that, but in userland it is imho not possible due to the big amount =
of ports available, dependencies, conflicts, etc.

But as I said, this is only my point of view, we will conform to any =
change since we have not enough ressources to handle or maintain a port =
like PHP. For the moment, I can say that this is not a lazy task when =
you have tens of servers to maintain, and this is why I started to post =
in this thread...