Date:      Sat, 02 May 1998 18:48:46 -0700
From:      Studded <Studded@san.rr.com>
To:        djv@bedford.net
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Writable /usr?

CyberPeasant wrote:

> As a newcomer to FreeBSD but a greybeard in the unix world, can I
> politely ask why FreeBSD seems intent on making /usr a writable
> partition?  In another thread, someone reports that the user guide
> recommends locating /tmp and /var on /usr.  I believe I've seen
> recommendations to supply users' home directories in the /usr
> partition, too.  (The default installation script sets you up
> without a /home partition.) What's the rationale for this? Isn't
> readonly /usr (and /, if possible) a Good Thing anymore?

	A few people have given you good answers already, I'd like to throw in
a few pennies of my own. The "default" installation options are designed
to fit the needs of the average workstation person who's installing
FreeBSD to give it a try. (Basically.)  The oft-repeated recommendations
of symlink'ing things to /usr are intended to help users who don't have
a lot of security concerns get the most out of their disk space.

	Obviously, someone who has more system administration experience can
twiddle those settings to suit their own needs. Personally I would like
to see say three levels of "defaults;" "desktop," "server," and "big
server" or something to that effect where the desktop settings are what
we have now, the server settings give some reasonable defaults like
making /var, /tmp and /home seperate partitions, and big server (Ok, YOU
pick a better name :) sets up larger versions of the server stuff. You
might even throw in "developer" which gives reasonable default sizes
(and seperate partitions) for /usr/src and /usr/obj.

	Of course, the standard question applies, "where is the patch?"  To
which I reply that I'm still in the middle of my C class and arrays are
giving me a fairly substantial headache. :)  Someday though....

Doug (who's imagining the look on Jordan's face at the prospect of me
hacking sysinstall... :)

--
***         Chief Operations Officer, DALnet IRC network       ***
*** Proud designer and maintainer of the world's largest Internet