Date:      Fri, 21 Apr 2000 22:38:55 +0100 (BST)
From:      Duncan Barclay <dmlb@ragnet.demon.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Help with SIOCADDMULTI, IFF_ALLMULTI and IFF_PROMISC

Hi

In my seemingly never ending quest to get a correctly functioning
driver for the WebGear wireless LAN cards I need some advice on how to
DTRT with multi-casts.

The WebGear cards can be programmed with 16 multicast addresses, from
these the NIC itself generates hashes.

So what should I do when there are more than 16 mutli-cast addresses?
Some drivers appear to set ALLMULTI, others set a promiscuous mode.
Some of the promiscuous mode drivers do some filtering before sending
packets to BPF/ether_input and other don't.

What should I do when I see ALLMULTI?

Help!

Thanks,

Duncan