Date:      Fri, 19 Nov 1999 20:01:32 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Jonathon McKitrick <jcm@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org>
To:        Lowell Gilbert <lowell@world.std.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Memory Info

On Fri, 19 Nov 1999, Lowell Gilbert wrote:

>>If this is the case, does this mean FreeBSD keeps everything possible in
>>memory and then swaps out to VM when it needs more?
>
>This is a badly-worded question -- that, in itself, indicates some of what
>you're missing.  VM *is* memory; the 'M' *stands* for the word "memory."

OK, i meant swaps it to _disk_ here...

>Specifically, VM is an abstraction of memory space that allows parts of
>that space to be kept in different kinds of storage at any particular

>That's only a rough approximation, though.  Pages can get swapped to disk
>well before they're needed for other purposes, and then there's no wait on
>the disk write before they can be re-used.  They don't have to be cleared
>immediately, though, so if the original task accesses the page before it's
>needed for anything else, that page is still in RAM (and the swap copy of
>the page is invalidated).

If pages are swapped to disk before they are needed, then there *IS* a
wait on the disk write before the can be re-used, correct?

>>                                                     How are unnecessary
>>page faults and disk accesses avoided with this method?
>
>Quite well.  A RAM page is never assigned to a new use unless that that
>use *needed* RAM.  [I realize I'm being a little disinguous here; the
>problem is not when to reassign a page, but which one to reassign.  Making
>that guess is a rather complicated statistical problem, but amounts to
>guessing which current page is least likely to be needed again soon.]

FIFO, LRU, Second Chance, etc.
And i don't quite understand that second sentences.. typo, maybe?

>>I am a bit of a neophyte, but I am right in the middle of an 'Intro to
>>Operating Systems' course, and we just finished memory mgmt and virtual
>>memory.
>
>You might want to discuss some of this with your professor rather than a
>bunch of people who don't know you and can't see you to pick up on body
>language.

I didn't realize body language could cause such a misinterpretation of
email.  ;-)

-jm

---------
He who laughs last... obviously didn't get the joke.