Date:      Wed, 30 Jan 2002 01:27:31 +0100
From:      Brad Knowles <brad.knowles@skynet.be>
To:        devet@devet.org (Arjan de Vet), brad.knowles@skynet.be
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: serving content from the closest server

begin  C:\WINDOWS\I-COULD-HAVE-WIPED-OUT-WIN.INI

At 12:29 AM +0100 2002/01/30, Arjan de Vet wrote:

>  Last time I looked at the Akamai setup their DNS servers handed out
>  different IP addresses for the same hostname depending on the source of
>  the DNS request in order to redirect people to the nearest Akamai
>  server. So no HTTP redirects at all AFAIK.

	They probably do this at the first level URL to find the closest
master site, but I know that there are specific URLs that get
generated which actually refer by name to the closest cache server.
I know this because Belgacom Skynet (my former employer) was the host
to the first set of Akamai servers in Belgium, and we learned a lot
about how they functioned.

	Kind of like doing anycast for the Global Director (or similar
device), then having it do a redirect to the closest load-balancing
system to handle the actual traffic.

--
Brad Knowles, <brad.knowles@skynet.be>

Do you hate Microsoft?  Do you hate Outlook?  Then visit the Anti-Outlook
page at <http://www.rodos.net/outlook/>; and see how much fun you can have.

end