Date:      Wed, 4 Mar 2009 17:14:20 +0200
From:      Jaakko Heinonen <jh@saunalahti.fi>
To:        Marcel Moolenaar <xcllnt@mac.com>
Cc:        freebsd-geom@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: gpart probing problem

Thanks for your reply.

On 2009-03-03, Marcel Moolenaar wrote:
> There's always a MBR in front of a GPT and a corrupted GPT should not
> be tossed aside and ignored.

I see the point. However this could cause problems for people moving
disks between operating systems (as it caused for me) because some
popular operating systems show MBR partition(s) in this case.

I tested these operating systems:

Mac OS X 10.4
Linux (Ubuntu kernel 2.6.27-7-generic)
OpenSolaris (2008.11 release)
Windows XP/2003

> Under no circumstance should the kernel use the MBR and pretend
> nothing is wrong.

Is this behaviour defined in the EFI specification? Are the OSes listed
above buggy and/or do they violate the specification?

--
Jaakko