Date:      Mon, 6 Dec 1999 02:38:57 -0700 (MST)
From:      Nick Rogness <nick@rapidnet.com>
To:        Archie Cobbs <archie@whistle.com>
Cc:        Brian Dean <brdean@unx.sas.com>, "Ronald F. Guilmette" <rfg@monkeys.com>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: natd is jumpy

On Sun, 5 Dec 1999, Archie Cobbs wrote:

> Brian Dean writes:
> > No dropped packets, but definitely some occasional long delays before
> > I get the echo.  However, I must concede, based on other respondants,
> > that something else must be going on and I cannot necessarily
> > attribute this to divert/firewall/natd.

	I forgot to mention, are you connecting at V.90 speeds?  If so
	renegotiations/retrains will take place and you will see a speed
	jump or hesitation.  Disable this in the modem.  There are
	specific S registers to do this. Also what type of term/com server
	gear are you connecting to?

	I would also recommend upgrading your modem BIOS.

> > However, the above numbers don't really illustrate the long response
> > times that I experience while typing at the shell prompt, or in elm.
> > It's really frustrating.

	How often does this happen?  Is it a fixed time period?

[snip]

> Could be you have a noisy line and your modem error correction is
> kicking in.  Try configuring your modem to disable error correction
> and see if it changes things.

	uuhhh, don't disable error correction for long.  You might see
	massive problems then.  But it might be useful to see if it is
	involved in your problem.

	Also, get your ISP involved.  Most admins have access to debug or
	PPP trace tools to help you.  Good luck.

Nick Rogness		       File not found...
System Administrator	       Should I fake it (Y/N)?
RapidNet, INC