Date:      Fri, 12 Dec 1997 08:03:01 -0500 (EST)
From:      Robert Watson <robert@cyrus.watson.org>
To:        "Daniel M. Eischen" <deischen@iworks.InterWorks.org>
Cc:        Studded@dal.net, asami@vader.cs.berkeley.edu, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Build world fails.

On Fri, 12 Dec 1997, Daniel M. Eischen wrote:

> >  *      I can occasionally get -stable to build with -j n, but it almost
> >  * always fails, and it didn't save me any time.  I'd say try it without the
> >  * -j, and see how that does.
> >
> > Really?  It usually works for me.  (Of course, it's only when it works
> > without -j as well, but the intermittent unbuildability of -stable is
> > not the issue here.)
>
> I'll grab the latest CTM and try a buildworld without -j.  I've done
> make worlds before on this box and have never had a problem, so I
> am _reasonably_ sure it's not a hardware problem.

I have similarly been unable to build 2.2-STABLE using -j 4; things go
much faster (i.e., the build is disk-bound not cpu-bound) on my P120, but
I start seeing symbol problems somewhere in.  Unfortunately, I'm away from
my machine as I'm at the IETF, or I would give more details :).  My
conclusion was that the dependencies were probably not quite right, and
concurrency issues resulted it its changing symptoms.  This is just an
opinion, however.  I have, on several occasions, been able to build wihout
-j, but not with.

  Robert N Watson

Carnegie Mellon University http://www.cmu.edu/
SafePort Network Services  http://www.safeport.com/