Date:      Sun, 23 Nov 1997 22:53:11 -0800 (PST)
From:      Burton Sampley <bsampley@bsampley.vip.best.com>
To:        Dan <amsc@wwonline.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HELP: Filesystem Check Failed... HELP!

Dan,

I've had a similar problem where I did /dev/MAKEDEV all.  The solution I
found was to boot with the boot floppy and use fixit to edit /etc/fstab
and remove 's1' from all entries.

Try a normal boot, when it pukes and asks you to select a shell, manually
run fsck and mount the file system w/o 's1', if this works, if then edit
/etc/fstab appropriately.

Hope this helps.

- - burton -

On Mon, 24 Nov 1997, Dan wrote:

> 	Greetings everyone! A user was trying to compile an application on one of
> our boxes and it dumped core... (Sig 12, from ping... vmem page wasn't
> there..) The system locked up and when the user couldn't start a new telnet
> session they called in and remote cycled the power. On boot up the message
> says:
>
> Swapon: /dev/wd2s1b: No such file or directory
> Automatic Reboot in Progress...
> /dev/rwd0a: Clean, 20017 free (49 frags, 2496 bl, 0.2% frag)
> /dev/wd0s1f: no such file or directory
> Can't stat /dev/wd0s1f
> Automatic filesystem check failed... help!
> Enter pathname of shell or RETURN for sh:
>
> 	I checked FSTAB, everything seems to be in order.. I tried to fsck by hand
> but again it says that theres no such file or directory. It looks like the
> special slices are gone from the /dev directory. I tried to make MAKEDEV to
> fix things but I'm missing essential commands.. I am going to copy the
> needed files to floppy and try again. Am I on the right track? I would
> appreciate any help!
>
> 	Please email directly at amsc@wwonline.com
>
> 	Dan
> 	amsc@wwonline.com