Date:      Wed, 14 Mar 2001 11:29:55 -0600
From:      Christopher Farley <chris@northernbrewer.com>
To:        Gareth Otte <gotte@elcb.co.za>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DNS error

Gareth Otte (gotte@elcb.co.za) wrote:

> Periodically I receive an error stating that 'named PID 141 exited on signal
> 11. Core dumped'
> I know that this is DNS error, but what does signall 11 mean and how can I
> get more info as to what caused the problem.
> In order to get the DNS up and running again, I issue the command NDC RELOAD
> or NDC RESTART.

What does 'named -v' say?

If you are running anything prior to 8.2.3-REL (ie: 8.2.3-T2B),
this may be the result of someone trying (possibly succeeding?) to
exploit a security vulnerability. My nameserver was hit 14 days
after the announcement, and if I recall, it exited on a signal 11.

That I was hit so soon after the announcement leads me to believe this
vulnerability is being quite actively exploited.

Otherwise, if you are running 8.2.3-REL or 9, it's probably something
else!

See the official advisory for more info.
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/CERT/advisories/FreeBSD-SA-01%3A18.bind.asc

--
Christopher Farley
www.northernbrewer.com