Date:      Mon, 17 Jan 2011 09:40:06 +0100
From:      =?iso-8859-1?Q?Marcus_M=FCller?= <znek@mulle-kybernetik.com>
To:        Pawel Jakub Dawidek <pjd@FreeBSD.org>, Anonymous <swell.k@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Multiple ZFS pools and booting

Hi Pawel and Anonymous,

> There is no way to configure that at this point. The boot code just
> boots off of first pool it finds - if there is no bootfs property then
> it will just try to boot from the top level dataset (ie. tank).
>=20
> What you could try is to add /tank/boot.config file containing:
>=20
> 	muller:/boot/loader
>=20
> and if that doesn't work:
>=20
> 	muller/roots/8-current:/boot/loader
>=20
> and if that doesn't work I don't know of any other solutions.

first thanks for finding the time to answer my question. I've mistaken =
the "bootfs" property for a global switch indicating that one can boot =
off this pool, as I somehow misinterpreted this troubleshooting section =
[http://www.solarisinternals.com/wiki/index.php/ZFS_Troubleshooting_Guide#=
Pool_Migration_Issues]. I guess a zpool boolean propery like =
freebsd:canboot which defaults to YES would be a welcome enhancement. =
Looking at the loader code I believe this isn't too trivial to =
implement, though.

> Exporting the tank pool will work (for now), but it looks like it will
> be changed to accept exported pools for booting and skip only =
destroyed
> pools.

I've read about this and was a bit worried as it would definitely screw =
up my server setup.

> gptzfsboot skips any non-zfs partition type such as `freebsd-ufs'.
> Say, you want to boot from the pool on ad10p5 and
>=20
>  $ gpart modify -t freebsd-ufs -i 3 ad10
>  $ gpart modify -t freebsd-ufs -i 4 ad10
>=20
> should be enough. Does it work for you?

This hack does the trick! While I would certainly prefer a property =
based solution, I'm fine now. Thanks!

Cheers,

  Marcus

--=20
Marcus Mueller  .  .  .  crack-admin/coder ;-)
Mulle kybernetiK  .  http://www.mulle-kybernetik.com
Current projects: http://www.mulle-kybernetik.com/znek/