Date:      Mon, 27 Sep 1999 07:34:41 +0800
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>
To:        Peter Jeremy <jeremyp@gsmx07.alcatel.com.au>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: EGCS, or EGCS?

Peter Jeremy wrote:
> The recent thread about the GCC optimiser prompted me to go and have a
> look at gcc's behaviour.  This has left me somewhat confused.  I
> appear to have two complete copies of gcc - one in src/contrib/gcc and
> another in src/contrib/egcs/gcc.  Both of them have README files
> stating that they are EGCS 1.1.2 - though there are substantial
> differences between them.
>
> Both src/contrib/gcc and src/contrib/egcs/gcc appear to be being
> updated along the -current tree.
>
> Looking at src/gnu/usr.bin/cc, it looks like src/contrib/egcs/gcc is
> being built - and this is backed up by the output from my regular
> buildworld's.
>
> Can anyone explain this?

src/contrib/gcc is where gcc used to live.  Then along came egcs with a
cygnus-style tree that ended up in src/contrib/egcs (v1.1.1 and later
1.1.2).  Now, egcs has become gcc 2.95, so it's going back to src/contrib/
gcc again.  src/contrib/egcs will go away and the repo cleared out ala
"what src/contrib/egcs?" :-).  We can do this before we do a release from
the 4.x tree.   David O'Brien is working on this now but I think he's
suffering from gcc-induced insanity. :-)

> Peter

Cheers,
-Peter