Date:      Mon, 27 Aug 2001 00:00:15 -0500
From:      "Clarence Brown" <clabrown@granitepost.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: can't start X Windows

No, I don't get the Xfree86 signon screen
(what ever that is). What I get is a solid
dark gray screen with no cursor. This is the
same if I start kde, or twm.

If I run just the XFree86 it stops with the
gray "hatched" background and the X cursor,
which is controlled with the mouse.

If my .xinitrc starts kde, or I erase the
.xinitrc and let it start the default of
twm the result is the same. I quick flash
of the gray hatched screen with X cursor,
followed by the solid dark gray screen with
no cursor. The only way out from there is
to hit Ctrl-Alt-BkSp. Which takes me back
to the command line prompt.

Any ideas?

Thanks, Cla.