From:      Alex Perel <veers@disturbed.net>
To:        Nocturne <dpilgrim@uswest.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD Chat <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Microsoft dies after 47 days (was: Moving on and check out my.sig)

On Sun, 7 Mar 1999, Nocturne wrote:

> >         Nope - Windows gets all confused if you don't launch a myraid of
> > useless things on startup. The only way to keep windows from crashing is
> > encasing the machine in concrete and sending it to the bottom of the ocean.
> > If it is not running, it's not going to crash, now is it..?
>
> The machine used for bookkeeping and taxes has no modem, no sound,
> no NIC... not even a fancy video card, I built it using quality
> parts.  It runs an updated Windoze Ninety-Hate and is very stable
> in Windows-relative terms.  No software other than Quickbooks,
> Quattro Pro, and Quicken.  The longest it's run without a fault of
> any kind is one day, but it's stayed running since Feb 12 without
> needing a reset.  Given its nature that's pretty damned impressive.

	A real hacker would write his own accounting system though, no need
for such a cop out - Q* money programs are not to be trusted!

	Now, mind you, staying up for the better part of a month IS
impressive - now you have to be worried about the 49.7 day bug. Just PRAY
that the box will not die on you on the .6th hour of hte 47th day...

<TAKE with=salt>
	What you may want to do is (carefully) move the computer to the
center of the floor. Get a big red crayon, and draw a pentagram around it.
Next, candles - red is preferred but not required. Just make sure they are
the long lasting kind - it'd be a real shame if the computer outlives the
candles. Once you've done all that, walk away and lock the door. Don't come
back until the 49.7th day of operation. If all goes well the machine will
have transformed into a mutant of Windoze, OS/2 and CP/M. That is the
perfect time to launch a preemptive strike and destroy it. Am I getting
ahead of myself here?
</TAKE>

	:-)

      Alex G. Perel  -=-  AP5081
   alexp@iplink.net  -=-  (work)
veers@disturbed.net  -=-  (play)

Disturbed Networks - Powered exclusively by FreeBSD
== The Power to Serve -=- http://www.freebsd.org/