Date:      Thu, 31 Jul 1997 16:34:42 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Cc:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   working snap of new sound driver

After about two weeks of intense development, I am pleased to say that
all the major pieces of my new sound driver now work satisfactorily. As
a consequence, a _working_ snap of my new sound driver is available at

	http://www.iet.unipi.it/~luigi/snd970731.tgz

(I am running this code on my machine now).

The package includes a README file with detailed installation
instructions, and all the pieces you need if you are using 2.2 or
above. At the time of this writing I fixed the final bugs and
/dev/audio works reliably (at 8KHz, mono) with MSS-clones and SBpro
(tested used the CS4232 and CS4236 PnP).

PnP cards are supported (with a minor fix, you need to change the
probe routine in ad1848.c to add the ID for your card), and possibly
even multiple sound cards in the same system (if bugs are present,
they are in the PnP probe&configure code).

Many ioctls are still unimplemented (but the mixer calls work), but
fixing them will be trivial and probably ready for the next snap.

Do not expect any new release for a week or so, but I will be able to
read email and reply. PLEASE if you have the time, test the code
with your cards. I am running this code on my machine at the moment,
and it seems reasonably stable.

	Cheers
	Luigi