Date:      Fri, 9 Nov 2007 09:54:56 -0700
From:      "Kelly Martin" <kellymartin@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   recurring kernel panic

I'm getting daily kernel panics. The server was running fine for about
a month, the only changes I've made recently have been to update all
my ports. It's running on older i386 hardware, no special devices
attached. Here's the console message I'm getting (copied by hand):

-----
Fatal trap 30: reserved (unknown) fault while in kernel mode
cupid =3D 0; apic id =3D 00
instruction pointer          =3D 0x20:0xc0b41129
stack pointer                 =3D 0x28:0xd0225cd8
frame pointer                =3D 0x28:0xd0225cd8
code segment               =3D base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
                                    =3D DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
processor eflags           =3D interrupt enabled, IOPL =3D 0
current process             =3D 10 (idle: cpu0)
trap number                  =3D 30
panic: reserved (unknown) fault
cupid =3D 0
Uptime 19h28m38s
Cannot dump. No dump device defined.
Automatic reboot in 15 seconds =96 press a key on the console to abort
Rebooting=85
Keyboard reset did not work, attempting CPU shutdown
-----

A few questions to help diagnose:
(1) how do I use my hard disk as a dump device for these kernel panics?
(2) why does the "keyboard reset" not work, leaving the panic'ed
machine hanging indefinitely? (I've tried two different PS/2
keyboards... no luck)
(3) any other information I can provide, such as ports I have installed?

I am running FreeBSD my.server.com 6.2-RELEASE FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE #0:
Fri Jan 12 11:05:30 UTC 2007
root@dessler.cse.buffalo.edu:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/SMP  i386
(with all security patches except FreeBSD-SA-07:03.ipv6)