Date:      Wed, 26 Jul 1995 20:07:12 +0100 (BST)
From:      Paul Richards <paul@netcraft.co.uk>
To:        rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com (Rodney W. Grimes)
Cc:        paul@freebsd.org, wollman@halloran-eldar.lcs.mit.edu, jkh@time.cdrom.com, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Knobs in /etc/sysconfig

> The package mechanism went to great pains to allow other locations than
> /usr/local for this stuff, fixing that location in an /etc file would
> be counter productive to this effort.
>
> I can install all (or almost all) of the packages in /opt if I so choose
> to.

Ok, the use /opt/etc :-)

Seriously, what I'd suggest is that a knob be added to /etc/sysconfig
such as

packages_startup= /usr/local/etc

and then the package installation code honour that flag and use it to
place their startup files. We just need one hook in /etc then that calls
something in packages_startup. If Satoshi thinks up a simple registration
system, such as just adding a line to packages_startup/startme, then
this will all work with little effort and we avoid lots of little files
getting added to /etc for each installed package.

Installing a package is then a process of, checking /etc/sysconfig to
see where package startup files go, installing them there and doing
any other mess with startup files there instead of /etc.

--
  Paul Richards, Bluebird Computer Systems. FreeBSD core team member.
  Internet: paul@FreeBSD.org, http://www.freebsd.org/~paul