Date:      Sun, 4 Jun 1995 13:01:52 -0600
From:      Nate Williams <nate@trout.sri.MT.net>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   FreeBSD required to bootstrap HURD

From: "Frederick (Rick) A Niles" <niles@axp745.gsfc.nasa.gov>
Newsgroups: gnu.misc.discuss
Subject: Pre-HURD GNU System: Linux or FreeBSD?
Date: 2 Jun 1995 03:10:20 GMT

This just asking for a battle but here goes anyway...

I've heard that R. Stallman has said that the Linux/GNU system
is the offical FSF GNU system until the HURD is ready, however,
one (currently) needs FreeBSD to install the HURD.  Does this
not introduce a conflict?  Perhaps the HURD and even Mach
itself was geared (file system wise) toward FreeBSD before Linux
ever became a real alterative?  I realize this is not really
important, but as a current Linux user I find it frustrating I
can't directly try the HURD without having FreeBSD.  Yes, I know
a port the ext2 File system is underway (I think so at least) for
the HURD.

For course it's entirely possiable I misunderstood the HURD alpha
documentation.

	Rick Niles.
	niles@axp745.gsfc.nasa.gov