Date:      Wed,  3 Jul 2002 07:42:18 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "baszd" <baszd-meg@excite.com>
To:        bts@babbleon.org
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How to get back FreeBSD-dumped data with linux-restore.

Hi!

> This varies from tool to tool, and you should read up on them, but

Yeah, I should read about tar and pax. I wonder how to get back one file out of a whole tgz or whatever file. Creating an archive and redirect it via ssh to the tape shouldn't be very difficult.

> what you use to do the backup. Since tapes are *NOT* random-access devices you
> basically have to read everything from the start of the tape onward to
> find
> anything on the tape, but this is true regardless of the software tool
> involved.

Yes, of course. But it is confortable to work with dump/restore particular in interactive mode. I see my directories within seconds (if the tape position is right)  and can choose the files I want to restore by marking them.

> entirely i/o bound so that that other tools won't slow you down much.

The question is more getting back files quickly rather than put them however on tape.

> that yourself with a perl script or something.

I'm using a simple bashscript wich is executed by cron.

> You could use afs if you want a really high level of security.  You must
> somehow be getting the data for multiple machines now; how do you do
> that?
> Note also that if you wnat to go for ultimate security you an physically
> move
> the disk since each can mount the other's files directly.

Ok, maybe afs. Never used it before.
I have one FreeBSD fileserver and a few Debian ones. I back up like that:
# ssh -l root fileserver "dump -h0 -a -u -f - /mnt/raid" > /dev/nst0
That works with FreeBSD and Linux, but -as said- I can't restore (the FreeBSD-dumps).
Moving the RAID is not a good idea. It weighs about 20 kg ;) and is connected to a RAID-controllercard...

> | That would be feasible, but somehow circumstantial.
>
> I'm not sure that I understand this one.

Circumstantial means: I have to install FreeBSD and Debian new (including the settings and things which have to work). Furthermore I have to boot this or that OS depending on the file I need to restore.

> | out the dump | dd-thing first and see how reliable it is.
>
> That's surely easiest if this is a one-shot problem.

It was easy, but it seems to work unly with small amounts of data. I backed up my /tmp without flaws and my /mnt/raid dump leads to:

Tape read error while restoring

However I think I'll investigate in tar/pax and mounting that slice over the network.

Thx! I'll post a proper solution soon (hopefully).

Regards,

bm.