Date:      Mon, 13 Nov 1995 11:15:05 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com (Joe Greco)
Cc:        dyson@freefall.freebsd.org, current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ISP state their FreeBSD concerns

> > I am working on this stuff right now.  Give me benchmarks!!!!  I'll
> > do what I can.
>
> This noted as well.  I am frustrated that I cannot seem to hit more than a
> PEAK of 4 arts/sec without MMAP, or around 5.5-6 with MMAP.  My pet Solaris
> news server, with PrestoServe and 128MB RAM, and only 4 disks, can peak out
> at around 15.  I do know that with only 48MB of RAM, news.sol.net takes more
> of a hit on history lookups (expected), but with the I/O load spread over a
> dozen disks, I would expect that would compensate somewhat...

PrestoServe does striping.  Striping is a win for concurrency of access;
probably not nearly the win kernel reentrancy would be in effective
concurrency, but still a major win.

I would like to see striping, volume spanning, and other technologies
integrated by way of devfs.  This requires a cleanup/reworking of the
way that volumes and media perfection, etc. are handled in BSD in general,
and the whole idea of logical drives in specific.

> Test code that breaks, problematic - at least as far as MMAP goes.  MMAP
> appears to work fine at first glance, but the panic rate of the system goes
> from once every few weeks to once every two or three days.  I have no idea
> what tickles it.

Any way to get a traceback?  Any particular panic message?

Can you force the panic to happen?

> I can probably get you some numbers in terms of file creation/removal rates
> on both Solaris x86 and FreeBSD 2.1R (well, SNAP).  I don't know what they
> will look like so it would be a doubly interesting test for me to perform.

Unless the Solaris volumes are mounted async, I expect them to be on
the same order as FreeBSD numbers if taken from similar drives.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.