Date:      Fri, 1 Nov 1996 20:39:08 -0800 (PST)
From:      Veggy Vinny <richardc@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU>
To:        dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Ricochet modem by Metricom

On Fri, 1 Nov 1996, Doug White wrote:

> On Wed, 30 Oct 1996, Veggy Vinny wrote:
>
> > 	Oh okay, had you actually seen any of their antennas before?
>
> Yes.  They are all over campus.  Little black boxes on the roof. :)
> And we have a repeater outside my dorm here:  a little white box with a
> antenna hanging down attached to the light pole.
>
> The new phase modems have a larger antenna too which really helps
> connectivity.

	I wonder if the Ricochet modems will be faster later on since the
modem can do up to 100kBps but if you're on the campus and only see 28.8k
then their claim isn't true.

> > 	Hmmm, what about on a desktop with a 16550 UART?
>
> No prob.  My 486/75 has a 16550 and it cooks.

	Oh okay....  The bad thing about the Ricochet is it doesn't have
enough lights.

> > > Yup.  I haven't used Ricochet's service so I can't compare them.  All I
> > > know is that the University is free and Metricom's is not :)
> >
> > 	Not for UC Berkeley since I think students get it for $29.95/month
> > with the modem rental included...  While the normal rate is $29.95 +
> > $10/month for the modem...  What are you guys paying there?
>
> Same rate.  I meant that there is no additional charge above the modem
> itself for the network service.

	Oh okay, do you know if you can use the Ricochet internet service
at all if you used the university service?

> > > We have found that some monitors and other hardware are not well shielded,
> > > and the radio transmissions do interfere with them.  There is a Mac with
> > > an older display that has this problem.  The best thing to do is move the
> > > radio.  You can buy a 10 ft cord from Metricom so you can place the modem
> > > further away from the problem hardware.
> >
> > 	Hmmm, the only problem here is my modem can be next to my computer
> > case but my modem is close to the window now, does the performance
> > decrease if i put it farther away from the window?
>
> Depends on what your buildings are made of.  :)  We have largely concrete
> & steel, the world's best shielding.  So we have to stay near windows.
> Depends on where you are in relation to a receiver.

	That's exactly what my building is made of so that's why my modem
is on top of my HP DeskJet 855c printer. :)  What I wanted to know was
also if it was possible since I only have one FreeBSD machine now, if I
had my own class c address, could I just make my machine have two ip's,
one incoming from the ISP and one ip for my class c but all outgoing
packets will be from my class c address?

Vince
GaiaNet Corporation - Unix Networking Operations - GUS Mailing Lists Admin