Date:      Thu, 19 Aug 2004 18:21:54 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Blaz Zupan <blaz@si.FreeBSD.org>
To:        Michael Ranner <mranner@inode.at>
Cc:        perl@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Fresh perl install and amavisd-new

> Installation of Perl distribution is finished.  Please note, that
> since Perl is also in the base system, this distribution will not
> be used by default.
>
> #
> # this ist not true on FreeBSD 5
> #

It *is* true. This distribution will not be used by default. If there is
nothing in the base system, well you don't have a perl.

> If you want this version of Perl to be used by default, please type
>
>   use.perl port

So, you follow this instruction and this is all that is needed.

> # Users new to FreeBSD may not read all the pkg-message output, simply trying
> # perl -v which results in the expected output and they will go further to
> # build amavisd-new which result in:

Well, if users will not read the instructions, why do you think they would
read the instructions in the amavisd-new pkg-message output?

> but perl -v works as expected.

It does, but perl is *not* installed.

> So my idea: Give some hint in amavisd-new which may be the wrong place or fix
> up the perl ports to give a correct pkg-message for FreeBSD whithout perl in
> the base distro.

There are dozens of ports that depend on perl 5.8 (or perl 5.6). Should every
single one of them contain warnings in addition to the warnings being
displayed by perl itself? If you try to install amavisd-new, it warns you that
you need perl 5.8.X. So, you need to properly install it. If the instructions
for perl installation are not good enough, then *they* should be fixed, not
the instructions for every single port that depends on perl. Just IMHO.