Date:      Wed, 20 Feb 2002 11:24:39 -0800 (PST)
From:      Radhika Sambamurti <radhika_narendran@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD in school networks - interested?

Hi,
You could start by installing Freebsd on some machines to
dual boot with Windows. The freebsd CD is available for
some cost at www.daemonnews.com and freely downloadable
from www.freebsd.org.
I think its wonderful that you are thing of exposing
Freebsd to your students. Every body should know there is
an alternative to Windows out there. Installing Freebsd is
easy and well documented agian on www.freebsd.org
Keep us posted on how you are doing.

Thanks,
Radhika
--- m p <sumirati@yahoo.de> wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > I am a teacher on a "Gesamtschule" in Wuppertal,
> Germany. I have
> > got pupils/students between 10 and 19 years.
> > Since I behaved very well on our school's Win NT/2000
> network our
> > Chief-Admin allowed me some spare 5 Gigs on four of our
> classroom
> > computers for "playing around" with some UN*X.
> > At the first look this is not too sensational, but it
> is
> > a chance I would like to take to become independent of
> M$'s
> > monopol and price policy. Our schools always lack of
> money and
> > you have to fight for each single EURO if you whish to
> try
> > something new. And of course everybody is used to M$
> software and
> > has to be convinced to learn something new.
> >
> > I only teach maths and physics - so I don't know too
> much about
> > computers. Thus I would like to find some people "out
> there" who
> > are interested in this topic. Students, too, of course
> would be
> > welcome.
> > Perhaps - in a year or so - we could found a
> FreeBSD-schools
> > project.
> >
> > So, if you have got any ideas, I would be happy to hear
> from you.
> >

> > Regards,
> >
> > Uli.
>
> Hi,
>
> there is a similar project underway on sourceforge. The
> goal is a GPL'ed Darwin
> distribution for scientific (biologists, chemicans,
> physics, mathematicans)
> students/researchers to install out of the box (if I
> understood it right...).
>
> Take a look at:
> http://gnu-darwin.sourceforge.net/
>
> For fruther questions you can contact me off list because
> I'm interested :)
> I started building the networks for administration and
> pupil with Novell
> Netware 3.12 and Windows NT some years ago at my school
> as a pupil.
> Now they switched recently to Linux ... have to change
> that :)
>
> Hope that helps
>
> Marc

message

=====
It's all a matter of perspective. You can choose your view by choosing where to stand.
--Larry Wall