Date:      Mon, 20 Nov 2000 01:19:03 -0800
From:      Jordan Hubbard <jkh@winston.osd.bsdi.com>
To:        "Stanislav Posonsky" <posonsky@iname.ru>
Cc:        advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: About The Symbolism

Please see: http://www.freebsd.org/copyright/daemon.html

> And concerning the watchword `FreeBSD: The Power to
> Serve`, what power is implied?

I think you have far too much time on your hands if you're looking
that far into simple slogans for hidden meanings.  It means simply
that FreeBSD has the power to serve.  Period.

> peoples! At the same time as an Orthodox believer I cannot and should not
> use it because of  such an ambiguous (or may be not ambiguous?) symbolism.

That is your choice.  No matter how innocuous a slogan or mascot we
chose, however, I'm sure somebody, somewhere, would find the need to
impart additional meaning to their lives by taking offense at it.
It's therefore in this project's best interests to simply ignore
people like that and focus our attention on issues of more significant
importance.

- Jordan