Date:      Sun, 14 Sep 1997 00:41:51 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        hlew@www2.shoppersnet.com (Howard Lew)
Cc:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: snd970909.tgz

> The mixer in vol now works great!
> I do hear a little popping noise in the background... can't tell if
> it is normal or not...

the popping is 'normal' at this stage since we don't use DMA AUTO mode
(yet).

> Real Audio player also works great in 8 bit mode.
> However, if I try to use 16 bit mode, it will give the error: Error 50
> Is it because 8 bit is for playing and 16 bit for recording?  Can we swap
> that around?  (Some of us will not be doing much recording)...

no idea, it _should_ work since the code tries to use the right DMA
channel for the selected mode. I have verified 16-bit operation using
"pcmio" and it seems to work. Have used realaudio with my cs4237 and
given the sound quality it seems to work in 16-bit mode...

> The new bios I have (AMI 8/2/97) has an option to choose between PNP
> aware/non-aware bios... Choosing the non-aware option, the bios
> automatically configures DMA 3/7 for the SB AWE64 PNP.  Could that be
> causing this?

no, one 8-bit and one 16-bit channel is correct.

> Hmmm... is there any easy hack to get the sound to play aout of dsp0 and
> dspW0?  Would using pcm1 in the kernel instead of pcm0 do the trick?

no apps should use dsp0 etc, they tend to use /dev/dsp which is a
symlink to dsp0. You change the symlink to dsp1 and you are set (same
for mixer, audio, dspW...)

	Cheers
	Luigi