Date:      Mon, 27 Nov 1995 09:54:47 +0100 (MET)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        maral@webnet.com.au (Peter Marelas)
Cc:        jgreco@solaria.sol.net, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Argh, lost console :-(

As Peter Marelas wrote:

> > What happened:  I put xdm as the last entry in /etc/rc.local on a 486DX/33
> > with 32MB RAM, Fahrenheit 1280 VGA card, running 2.0.5R.

Put a "sleep 2" (or some other activity) behind, in order to allow xdm
to properly daemonize itself.  Otherwise, the rc shell will exit
before xdm changed its session, and consequently kill xdm halfways
while launching the Xserver.

> The README in XF86312 says to start xdm from a tty in /etc/ttys
>
>   The easiest way to automatically start the display manager on boot is
>   to add a line in /etc/ttys to start it on one of the unoccupied
>   virtual terminals:
>

>         ttyv4  "/usr/X11R6/bin/xdm -nodaemon" xterm    on secure

I wholeheartedly disagree with this method.  It's a crock.

--
cheers, J"org