Date:      Thu, 11 May 2006 13:24:05 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@lurza.secnetix.de>
To:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: freebsd 6.1rc2 lacks i945 agp support

netsick@iinet.net.au wrote:
 > I have a Dell Optiplex 520 using i945 (ICH7) chipset.
 >
 > I have device agp in my kernel but /dev/agpgart is not being setup. This then
 > effects the opertion of Xorg 6.9.x by not allowing it to load DRI and thus no
 > XVideo support.

The necessary fixes for i915 and i945 are in 7-current, and
I have asked several times in the past to MFC the code to
RELENG_6 (and I even showed that it's possible:  My laptop
is running RELENG_6, with some code taken from -current,
so AGP is detected fine, so 3D acceleration + XVideo works).

So, if you need that support, you have to do any of these:
 - Switch to 7-current, or
 - Merge the code into RELENG_6 yourself, like I did, or
 - Try to talk someone into MFCing the AGP/DRM code.

Best regards
   Oliver

cat man du : where Unix geeks go when they die