Date:      Sun, 23 Mar 1997 22:39:07 -0500
From:      Randall Hopper <rhh@ct.picker.com>
To:        Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
Cc:        Steve Passe <smp@csn.net>, multimedia@FreeBSD.org

Amancio Hasty:
 |Oh, an interface which we can use 8) I really hate the search engine
 |used on that web page and it is very, very close to be totally worthless.
 |
 |From The Desk Of Steve Passe :
 |> the multimedia mail archive is already available via the FreeBSD mail
 |> search page...  What specifically do you have in mind?

Second that one Amancio.  Also, the archive isn't updated very often.
Searches I made Friday on the multimedia list section show its vacant for
the period of mid Jan to the present.

A threaded searcher would be nice.  What's there now is very slow, the
fetches are always per-message, and message fetching is slower the higher
you set your max-messages-to-retrieve, further testing one's patience.  If
you're trying to follow a thread, you hit max-messages, and you didn't
notice before starting to browse, you need to requery with a higher
max-messages and filter through all those with the same subject again to
get to the new ones.

Date ranges would be nice too.

As it is, I ended up writing a perl script a while back that I could key in
a subject and list of groups, and it'd sit and milk the archives dry for
every matching message and put it in a mailbox-format file.  Then I can use
mutt (my mailer of choice) and do a nice, threaded, context- and
syntax-colored read of the messages -- what I really wanted to start with.

Randall