Date:      Thu, 01 Feb 2007 11:41:21 -0700 (MST)
From:      "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        des@des.no
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, dr2867@pacbell.net
Subject:   Re: sysctl(3) interface

In message: <86k5z3jylp.fsf@dwp.des.no>
            des@des.no (Dag-Erling Sm=F8rgrav) writes:
: Daniel Rudy <dr2867@pacbell.net> writes:
: > I've been taking apart and analyzing the sysctl(8) program to gain =
: > better insight into how to use the sysctl(3) interface.  [...]
: > It's using an oid of 0 and 2 to get something, then it comes up wit=
h 440
: > and then a sequence of numbers that are incrementing in a peculiar
: > pattern.
: =

: sysctl(8) uses undocumented interfaces to a) enumerate the nodes in
: the sysctl tree and b) obtain the name of a node, given its OID.
: =

: > So, my question is, how do I walk the tree to get the PnP info for =
all
: > the devices in the system?
: =

: man 3 devinfo