Date:      Sun, 12 Oct 1997 23:25:31 +0200
From:      Stefan Esser <se@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Joerg Wunsch <joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de>
Cc:        scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Trouble with dump on ncr

On 1997-10-12 12:29 +0200, J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de> wrote:
> As Stefan Esser wrote:
>
> > Well, I guess it is save to just exclude those
> > ASCQ values for ASC 0x04 that indicate a simple
> > motor start command is not sufficient (0x04/0x03
> > surely does not ask for a START STOP UNIT command :)
>
> Hmm, but it can't hurt to attempt a START STOP UNIT for any NOT READY,
> as long as you:
>
> .  make sure you'll abort after a number of failed retries for the
>    original command,
> .  make sure to immediately abort after getting a nested NOT READY.

>From the list ASC/ASCQ codes:

04h/00h  DTLPWRSOMCAE  LOGICAL UNIT NOT READY, CAUSE NOT REPORTABLE
04h/01h  DTLPWRSOMCAE  LOGICAL UNIT IS IN PROCESS OF BECOMING READY
04h/02h  DTLPWRSOMCAE  LOGICAL UNIT NOT READY, INITIALIZING CMD. REQUIRED
04h/03h  DTLPWRSOMCAE  LOGICAL UNIT NOT READY, MANUAL INTERVENTION REQUIRED
04h/04h  DTL    O      LOGICAL UNIT NOT READY, FORMAT IN PROGRESS
04h/05h  DT  W  OMCA   LOGICAL UNIT NOT READY, REBUILD IN PROGRESS
04h/06h  DT  W  OMCA   LOGICAL UNIT NOT READY, RECALCULATION IN PROGRESS
04h/07h  DTLPWRSOMCAE  LOGICAL UNIT NOT READY, OPERATION IN PROGRESS
04h/08h       R        LOGICAL UNIT NOT READY, LONG WRITE IN PROGRESS

You probably don't want to send a START UNIT after ASC=4
and ASCQ=3 has been returned. Same for ASCQ=4 to 8 ...

You never know how robust the firmware of a device is ...

Regards, STefan