Date:      Thu, 10 Aug 2006 20:39:15 +0200
From:      =?ISO-8859-2?Q?Nagy_L=E1szl=F3_Zsolt?= <nagylzs@freemail.hu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Almost ready with diskless setup

> 2. syslogd tells that it cannot open the pid file. (Operation not
> supported)  However, it creates /var/log/syslogd.pid. But that file is
> empty. What can be the problem?
After making another diskless distribution, I found out that the
'Operation not supported' error comes out because of calling flock() on
nfs. For example:

sendmail_submit: /etc/mail/aliases.db not present, generating
cannot flock(/etc/mail/aliases, fd=3, type=6, omode=4002, euid=0):
Operation not supported

The same message (Operation not supported) comes when creating the pid
file /var/log/syslogd.pid. The /var/log filesystem is writeable. Is it
possible that flock() is not implementedon nfs? :-(

  Laszlo