Date:      Mon, 6 Feb 1995 21:00:44 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John S. Dyson" <toor@jsdinc.root.com>
To:        freefall.cdrom.com!owner-freebsd-hackers@implode.root.com (Wankle Rotary Engine)
Cc:        peter@bonkers.taronga.com, syssgm@devetir.qld.gov.au, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org, jcd@crab.xinside.com
Subject:   Re: sup: Ok, I'm gonna do it.

> This does not bode well for me either, because my home machine is
> a 386sx/16Mhz system with 4 megs of RAM. I wouldn't mind sticking with
> 1.1.5.1 for a while, but there's a bug in the VM system somewhere
> that causes it to consume swap space and never give it back, which
> forces me to reboot the machine every few days. I figure I'm going to
> haul it into work one day after 2.1-Release comes out and upgrade it.
> I only hope I don't go mad trying.
>
> -Bill

For months, I had thought that all of the problems with swap space were
only collapse problems.  And then, found that the swap pager itself had
a leak!!!   2.0 had some paging performance problems, but 2.1 is alot
better.  You will like 2.1 much more than 2.0 regarding paging performance
and swap leaks.  After davidg beating on me telling me that 2.0 wasn't as
good as it could get, he convinced me to work with him on the pageout
daemon again.  He and I spent well over 2 weeks on it and now it is much
better (he happened to be right this time :-) ).

John
dyson@root.com