Date:      02 Nov 2002 17:43:47 -0700
From:      Ned Wolpert <wolpert@codeheadsystems.com>
To:        conrads@cox.net
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Upgrading 4.7-stable to -current question

On Sat, 2002-11-02 at 17:20, Conrad Sabatier wrote:
> Read the UPDATING file very carefully.  You'll see that one of the steps in
> upgrading from 4.x to 5.0 is updating the boot blocks.

Yes, there are several entries.  20000615 is the most interesting:

        In addition, you'll need to update your boot blocks to a
        more modern version, if you haven't already done so.  Modern
        here means 4.0 release or newer (although older releases
        may work).

Now, my system was installed around 4.4, so I "should not" need to
update my boot blocks.  Correct?

Getting back to my original question, the problem I was having was with
the loader itself.  Now, do I have to execute this step (from the
UPDATING document)
    cd src/sys/boot ; make install
Reason why I ask is because my loader is from 4.4, so it should work.
(Provided I do a
    ok unload
    ok boot /boot/kernel/kernel
manually)  As the UPDATING doc mentions, upgrading from 4.x to 5.x needs
that step to avoid those extra steps, yes? But it should still boot if I
unload and load manually, correct?  I guess the real question was that
if this is the case, it didn't boot into /boot/kernel/kernel at that
point either... after the unload and boot steps above.  Could that have
occurred because I still had the old /modules directory?

--

Virtually,
Ned Wolpert <wolpert@codeheadsystems.com>                     4e75